Posted on Jun 30, 2008 | Comments 2
Fashion photography is a wonderful mixture of artistic and commercial photography. The essence in the fashion photography is to capture the objective of fashion and make the fashion appealing to the consumers.
Before you start your career in fashion photography, you need to know the basics to understand the fashion in the clothes or product. It is referred as a subset of advertising photography, as this is meant for advertising the clothes and other fashion items.
Fashion photography is conducted by many advertising and fashion magazines as covering pages in the magazines or for displaying their products. The fashion photographer must understand the fashion to click the photographs.
If you are an aspirant to find career in fashion photography, these are the basic rules:
- For becoming a successful fashion photographer, you must have an idea about the clothes i.e. fashion and should know how to work with models.
- Imagination is very important for a fashion photographer, as each fashion photograph must vary from one another.
- Every photo should have freshness. The photographs must be taken in such a way that consumers should not distract their eyes from the product you are endorsing in the photo.
- The background of the subject must be pleasant and related to the merchandises. The basic rule in fashion photography is it must only concentrate on the merchandise.
- The image must be so powerful that it should speak about the product and sell the product. It should develop a feeling of the merchandise.
Basic requirements of a fashion photographer:
Learn about fashion: As stated before, you should have idea on fashion. If you are a student in a fashion school, you need not worry. If you cannot afford to join in a fashion school, then you need to build up a library of fashion. You must include fashion magazines, photos and all the things related to fashion photography in your library. Do not neglect the old fashion magazines, because you may find new designs from the old fashion.
Your library must be a collection of different backgrounds, setups, lightings [Photography lighting], cameras, lenses and different patterns in poses, which includes single, doubles and groups. These collections will help you to study the pictures and make you understand which pictures are appealing and why they are so appealing to others.
Studio equipments: If you are starting your own studio, there are some basic equipment you need in your studio such as
- One DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera with 11 million MP
- Two large format digital cameras with 20 million MP
- Additional lens and different filters
- Exposure meter
- Background screen which is pleasant and large
- Background reflectors
- Different posing accessories
- Lighting units
- Small dressing room and bright lighted mirror for models
Handling the models: Ask expert fashion photographers how hard it is to deal with different models. Before selecting a model for your endorsement, your first priority is looks of the model. Include the personality also- this makes the work easy as you cannot get along with the tantrums of the models in your photo shoot. Maintain a healthy relation with the model, always be calm and keep your voice in a low pitch.
While shooting, encourage, compliment, be patient and make the shooting atmosphere pleasant for the model to get out the best shot. Make sure that the model is comfortable with the merchandise. Merchandise manufacturers want their goods back in good condition- make sure you and your model do not spoil the product. If you are not able to take proper care of the product, the manufacturers may think that you are negligence towards your work. Be professional.
Experts’ words: Many experts’ words for beginners who want to find career in fashion photography is “anyone can become a great fashion photographer. All you need to do is make a $3 dress look like $300”.
Posted in: Types Of Photography