Posted on Jan 25, 2008 | Comments 1
Several types of batteries are available in the market; each and every type will have their own advantages and disadvantages. Before buying a new digital camera, you have to observe which type of battery is needed for it and what are the various functionalities of them.
Types of digital camera batteries:
- Nickel metal hydride (NiMh) batteries
- AA batteries
- Lithium-Ion batteries
Further details on these batteries are:
Nickel metal hydride (NiMh) digital camera batteries:
- These are the best rechargeable batteries which can be used for your digital cameras.
- The costs of these batteries are low when compared to other batteries.
- These batteries will run for long period of time when compared to other standard types of batteries.
AA digital camera batteries:
- More number of digital cameras uses these AA batteries for LCD display and to empower the flash.
- You can get these AA batteries in almost all digital camera accessory stores and the rates of these batteries are reasonable (not cost much).
- These are non-rechargeable batteries.
- Usage of these non rechargeable batteries is very economical when compared to rechargeable batteries.
- Try to avoid these alkaline batteries unless nothing else is available because these batteries will provide less power and you have to replace them more frequently.
- Instead of alkaline batteries, use rechargeable batteries to obtain good output.
Lithium-Ion digital camera batteries:
- These Lithium-Ion batteries cost more when compared to all other batteries.
- But, these batteries will have one added advantage i.e., they can hold charging for long period of time.
- You can easily gauge the left over power in these batteries.
Battery charger: These digital camera battery chargers come in various models. Among all, you must select the right one which is more durable for long period of time.
You can charge both NiMH and NiCad batteries in some battery chargers but NiMH batteries will have more capacity when compared to NiCad batteries. If this battery charger is not set correctly, then it will damage both NiMH and NiCad batteries by overcharging them.
Digital camera batteries must be charged together. For example, if the capacity of batteries in your digital camera is three, then you must buy the charger which can charge three batteries at a time, otherwise they cannot supply the necessary power required for your camera.
The charger will be normally provided by the manufacturer if your camera supports Lithium-Ion batteries. Mostly it will be given as special package for your digital camera or as a special accessory for your camera.
You cannot get all the battery chargers in the same rate. The rate will be fluctuating and they are mostly dependent on the company and durability. Most of the battery chargers will charge the batteries on two basic concepts i.e., time and fixed length.
While selecting the digital camera battery charger, try to select the best one which is controlled by micro processor. If your digital camera battery charger has this facility, then it will be automatically switched off when the batteries are fully charged.
Posted in: Digital Camera Accessories